Taxtom, Accountant
Experience:  25 Years in preparing Personal and Business Tax Retuns

Can I open a bank account without my social security number

Customer Question

Can I open a bank account without my social security number or name? I'm not trying to evade taxes or anything like that. Just trying to keep money out-of-sight in anticipation of a divorce. Can I form a corporatation or LLC, and get a taxpayer ID number for it, and open an account that way, without ever giving my personal SS number or name? Or are banks obligated to get SS number of the principals in the corporation or LLC?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Taxtom replied 6 years ago.

Hello, Banks are not allowed to open bank account without social security numbers but can open them with Federal Identification Number. Usually you can apply for a FIN when you would start a business. Here is the link to apply,,id=102767,00.html

Be aware if it gets nasty a good lawyer will ask if you have hidden assets and if you lie that is perjury. So think about with a level head and decide if its worth the risk. Thank You Tom Please click accept.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Federal Identification Number is XXXXX Identification Number (TIN), right?
Expert:  Taxtom replied 6 years ago.
Hello, Yes that is correct thanks Tom