Milan Vaishnav
Milan Vaishnav, Financial Advisor
Experience:  Technical Analyst in Financial Markets -- Experience of more than 10 years in consulting
17158941

List the factors that affect the value of a currency in foreign

List the factors that affect the value of a currency in foreign exchange markets.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Milan Vaishnav replied 4 years ago.

Dear Friend,

The following factors may affect the value of a currency in foreign exchange.

(a) International parity conditions: Relative Purchasing Power Parity, interest rate parity, Domestic Fisher effect, International Fisher effect. Though to some extent the above theories provide logical explanation for the determination in exchange rates, yet these theories falter as they are based on challengeable assumptions [e.g., free flow of goods, services and capital] which seldom hold true in the real world.

(b) Balance of payments model: This model, however, focuses largely on tradable goods and services, ignoring the increasing role of global capital flows. It failed to provide any explanation for continuous appreciation of dollar during 1980s and most part of 1990s in face of soaring US current account deficit.

(c) Asset market model: views currencies as an important asset class for constructing investment portfolios. Assets prices are influenced mostly by people's willingness to hold the existing quantities of assets, which in turn depends on their expectations on the future worth of these assets. The asset market model of exchange rate determination states that "the exchange rate between two currencies represents the price that just balances the relative supplies of, and demand for, assets denominated in those currencies."

Over and above factors, there are certain economic factors that may also affect the vaulation of a currency in foreign exchange.

==>Economic policy comprises government fiscal policy (budget/spending practices) and monetary policy (the means by which a government's central bank influences the supply and "cost" of money, which is reflected by the level of interest rates).

==>Government budget deficits or surpluses: The market usually reacts negatively to widening government budget deficits, and positively to narrowing budget deficits. The impact is reflected in the value of a country's currency.

==>Balance of trade levels and trends: The trade flow between countries illustrates the demand for goods and services, which in turn indicates demand for a country's currency to conduct trade. Surpluses and deficits in trade of goods and services reflect the competitiveness of a nation's economy. For example, trade deficits may have a negative impact on a nation's currency.

==>Inflation levels and trends: Typically a currency will lose value if there is a high level of inflation in the country or if inflation levels are perceived to be rising. This is because inflation erodes purchasing power, thus demand, for that particular currency. However, a currency may sometimes strengthen when inflation rises because of expectations that the central bank will raise short-term interest rates to combat rising inflation.

==>Economic growth and health: Reports such as GDP, employment levels, retail sales, capacity utilization and others, detail the levels of a country's economic growth and health. Generally, the more healthy and robust a country's economy, the better its currency will perform, and the more demand for it there will be.

==>Productivity of an economy: Increasing productivity in an economy should positively influence the value of its currency. Its effects are more prominent if the increase is in the traded sector

The valuation also depends upon certain political and market psychology. However, the above listed are the major determinants of the market value of the currency.

References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_exchange_market#Determinants_of_FX_rates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_exchange_market#Economic_factors

I hope the above helps...

Regards,

Milan Vaishnav, Financial Advisor
Experience: Technical Analyst in Financial Markets -- Experience of more than 10 years in consulting