Mohammad Ali
Mohammad Ali, Accounts & Financial Advisor
Experience:  Qualified Cost & Management Accountant, with 2 years experience in Financial & Audit Services

E3-7 The ledger of Piper Rental Agency on March 31 of the current

E3-7 The ledger of Piper Rental Agency on March 31 of the current year includes the following selected accounts before adjusting entries have been prepared.

Debit Credit
Prepaid Insurance $ 3,600
Supplies 2,800
Equipment 25,000
Accumulated
Depreciation—Equipment $ 8,400
Notes Payable 20,000
Unearned Rent 9,900
Rent Revenue 60,000
Interest Expense –0–
Wages Expense 14,000
An analysis of the accounts shows the following.
1. The equipment depreciates $400 per month.
2. One-third of the unearned rent was earned during the quarter.
3. Interest of $500 is accrued on the notes payable.
4. Supplies on hand total $700.
5. Insurance expires at the rate of $200 per month.
Instructions
Prepare the adjusting entries at March 31, assuming that adjusting entries are made quarterly. Additional accounts are: Depreciation Expense, Insurance Expense, Interest Payable, and
Supplies Expense.

Category: Finance
Expert:  Mohammad Ali replied 5 years ago.

The adjusting entries are as follows:

For depreciation

Description

Debit ($s)

Credit ($s)

Depreciation expense

Accumulated depreciation-Equipment

To record the quarterly depreciation expense (400*3=$1200) for equipment

1200

1200

For un-earned rent

Description

Debit ($s)

Credit ($s)

Un-earned rent

Rent revenue

To record one third of the unearned rent, as now earned (9900/3=$3300)

3300

3300

For interest payable

Description

Debit ($s)

Credit ($s)

Interest expense

Interest payable

To record the quarterly accrual of interest that is payable on the notes

500

500

For supplies

Description

Debit ($s)

Credit ($s)

Supplies expense

Supplies

To record the quarterly usage of supplies, with a balance of (2800-2100)$700 left on account

2100

2100

For insurance

Description

Debit ($s)

Credit ($s)

Insurance expense

Prepaid insurance

To record the insurance expense of 200*3=$600 for the quarter, and reduce the prepaid insurance by the same amount

600

600

Experience: Qualified Cost & Management Accountant, with 2 years experience in Financial & Audit Services
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Debit Credit
Prepaid Insurance $ 3,600 (Debit)
Supplies 2,800 (Debit)
Equipment 25,000 (Debit)
Accumulated
Depreciation—Equipment $ 8,400 (Credit)
Notes Payable 20,000 (Credit)
Unearned Rent 9,900 (Credit)
Rent Revenue 60,000 (Credit)
Interest Expense –0– (Debit)
Wages Expense 14,000 (Debit)
4. Supplies on hand total $700.
Instructions
Supplies Expense.

Sorry! I forgot to mention what was debit and what was credit on the paper.

DearCustomer

Please don't worry as every expert over here is well qualified in the field of accountancy and finance. I have a lot of previous experience with such questions, and figured out what was credit and what was debit, all by myself. the answer that I have given is bascially based on the debits and credits that you have NOW provided, which, of course, I had figured out earlier. Don't worry, the answer is correct. As a rule, if you are not given the debits and credits within a question, remember that:

1. Prepaid accounts, receivables and expenes are debit balances
  2. inventories, like supplies, merchandise are debit balances
  3. sales, revenue and un earned revenues are credit balances
  4. provisions, accruals and payables are credit balances

unless is otherwise stated. So remember these rules and you will never get your answer wrong even if you haven't been told if an item is credit or debit.

Go ahead and accept the answer. If you are unsure or dissatisfied, you may go for a second opinion, as you wish.

Thank you.