James Heal
James Heal, Financial Advisor
Experience:  15 years expertise in all ares of personal finance, including credit cards, mortgages, real estate.

How do I deposit a check made out to someone else?

Customer Question

Category: Finance
Expert:  James Heal replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

This is an easy transaction. All you need to do is write "for deposit only" on the back of the check and have the other person sign the back of the check and that officially endorseses it to you. Take it to your bank and cash as you normally would once this is done.

Here's a good diagram:

I hope this helps - Good Luck !

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I tried to do so. The check was endorsed by who the check was made out to, I also endorsed it and wrote the account number and for deposit only. The teller told me that he(my father) had to be present and sign the check. It was his idea for me to open an account for him under my name. He just came out of the hospital. What if I made the deposit via ATM?

It's possible that the party to whom you endorse the check may have difficulty cashing the item, but if you have a longstanding good relationship with the bank, that shouldn't be a problem.

First, like you stated, try the ATM deposit. If that doesn't work your other option would be for your father to endorse the check, get cash for it after it clears and then send a cashier's check to you.

I hope this helps !