RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  MBA, CPA
510454

My boyfriend and now live together. He receives SSI. The

My boyfriend and now live together. He receives SSI. The SSA asked him to come in for a reevaluation of his benefits. How can our living arrangements affect his benefits? What advice can you give to maximize his SSI? Will my income come into question?
Category: Finance
Expert:  RD replied 7 years ago.
Is he receiving the benefits due to some disability?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. He was receiving these benefit before we met. We moved in together four years ago. But we are not legally married and with his health challenges we will not get married because he also receives Medicaid and his medical bills would bancrupt me.
Expert:  RD replied 7 years ago.

Your living arrangements will not affect his benefits. SSI is trying to reevaluate his condition to determine the benefits that should be provided or continued. This is a general procedure followed by the SSA.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

But what about this statement on the SSA site

Your living arrangement is another factor used to determine how much SSI you can get.

This means your SSI benefits may vary depending on where you live:

blank spacer
    small blue and black arrow
    in your own place such as a house, apartment, or mobile home; or
    blank spacer
    small blue and black arrow
    in someone else's household; or
    blank spacer
    small blue and black arrow
    in a group care or board and care facility; or
    blank spacer
    small blue and black arrow
    in an institution.

Expert:  RD replied 7 years ago.

BY your living arrangement I meant you both living together.

Also, I cannot see the images posted by you.

Expert:  RD replied 7 years ago.

Below is the link that may help you get more information on this in detail-

http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/spotlights/spot-living-arrangements.htm

Let me know if you have any question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I should clarify. I own the home that we live in. It is a four unit and I rent out the other three apartments. My BF and I have comingled our expenses. What kind of proof (if any) will he need at his reevaluation appointment to show that he is paying a fair share of the food and shelther costs?
Expert:  RD replied 7 years ago.

He may need receipts of the food and other living costs(including medical bills etc) that he is paying. As long as he is paying for his foods and shelter expenses his benefits will not be reduced.

Also note that the benefits are based on the income that he makes and not on the living expenses.

Let me know if you have any question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I was really looking for more guidance. He is on Medicaid and does not pay for his medical expenses and he received food stamps benefits. But if they cut his SSI benefits by 1/3 that would direly effect our finances. I don't even know if that is why that called for reevaluation but I was trying to be prepared.

He is trying to straighten out a problem with another individual that is working under his social securtiy number but when I called to make an appointment for this the agent told me that he should be receiving a letter for reevaluation shortly. So this got me sort of nervous. I am not sure if this meeting is to: (1) determine if he is still disabled; (2) because there appears to be earnings on his record; or (3) something to do about us living together and having comingled expenses.

Expert:  RD replied 7 years ago.

Now it seems clear that the SSA is seeing income being reported under his tax id# XXXXX he is getting benefits from SSA and claiming himself as disabled. HAve you ever taken steps to get this corrected?

His staying with you and having comingled expenses is not reported to the SSA so they cannot find this out unless they get more information from you.

It has more to do with the income that has been filed under his SS#. This definitely needs to be corrected of the benefits that you receive will be affected.\

Let me know if you have any question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We have been trying to correct this for the last two years. He went to the local SSA office and the only thing they did was have him sign an affidavit that the 2007 earnings on his record did not belong to him. But that was not a permanent fix and he is still having problems with his Medicaid benefit because the other individual has health insurance and it is showing up under his ss#.

That is why I called to set up the appointment to see what his options are. Whether its get a new ss#, or what. But when I made this appointment the agent told me that they were in the process of calling him in any way.

I just got nervous but I think it has more to do with the other individal showing earnings on his ss# XXXXX the fact that we are living together.

Expert:  RD replied 7 years ago.

Yes, the issue is related to income being reported under his name. You may want to request an account transcript from the IRS for his social security number by calling them at 1-800-829-1040. This transcript will provide more information on the companies that are reporting W-2 in his name. You can than contact the company and inform them of the error. The company can then file corrected reports to correct this.

Let me know if you have any question.