Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, HR & Business Operations Consultant
Experience:  Central Michigan University, MSA Candidate; Global Compensation Operations Mngr; AA Degree Lib Arts

In the state of Michigan, can my child support be garnished ...

Customer Question

In the state of Michigan, can my child support be garnished by a judgement?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear mosese,

Child support may not be garnished. Is someone trying to do that?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: Yes. I had a judgement years ago from Ford Motor Credit. I woke up this morning to pay my bills and I saw that my bank account had been garnished from their attornies. I am not employed. I am a single mother, with two children, and a full time student. We live solely off of my child support and my student loans.

Dear moses,

This is legal. There is a difference from garishing bank accounts and garnishing child support. They are levying your bank accounts, and that does not distinguish immediately the difference between chlid support or not.

You will have to get a temporary injucitinon agains the levy, and petition the court ot intervene, be proving the money is child support and not earned income. The court can apportion the levy.

Unfortunately, it will take an attorney to be successful.