Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  I manage my own money -- stocks, bonds, 401k, etc.
3546829

I have a ten dollar bill that looks way different in color ...

I have a ten dollar bill that looks way different in color than anythig I''ve seen. It''s 1934A K out of Dallas. The #986 is on the back w/a serial #K24689845A
Hi there!

There were a few different types of $10 bills printed in the 1934A series.

Can you describe it in more detail?

Does it say "Hawaii" anywhere on it?
Is it a silver certificate? If so, what is the color of the seal?
Or is it a Federal Reserve Note?

What condition is the bill in?

Thanks,
Scott
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is in excellent condition and in a plastic sleeve. I've had it for about 30 years. It doesn't say Hawaii on it and it's not a silver certificate. I've never seen one this color of green
Indeed, the color of US money's ink has changed over the years. Old bills do look distinctly different from modern ones.

Since what you are describing is almost definitely a Federal Reserve Note, it won't be as much as a Silver Certificate, or a Note with the Hawaii overprint (those are worth a bit more).

However, in excellent condition, it is probably worth $20-30.

Here are some references...
Ebay -- someone is selling a lower quality version for $13: http://cgi.ebay.com/1934A-Federal-Reserve-10-bill-Chicago-Retail-24_W0QQitemZ200207298108QQihZ010QQcategoryZ40029QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bill Collector Auctions -- http://www.uscurrencyauctions.com/$10notes.htm (depending on the condition, circulated bills go from $12-20, with perfect condition bills worth more than $35).

Let me know if you have any questions. If not, and you are satisfied, thanks for pressing "Accept".

-Scott