How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Land Advisor Your Own Question
The Land Advisor
The Land Advisor, Experienced Land Investor
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 1387
Experience:  Retired successful "land baron", financier and investor.
Type Your Finance Question Here...
The Land Advisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

7 months behind on my mortgage. If I

Resolved Question:

7 months behind on my mortgage. If I don''t pay Monday they will "refer to attorney". I can pay 80% of the amount now. I don''t think they want to do a repayment plan. Should I file bankruptcy on Monday to avoid this process of foreclosure? I don''t want to lose my house!
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  The Land Advisor replied 8 years ago.
The filing of bankruptcy proceedings will not prevent the foreclosure, it will only delay it a month or two.

If your lender is institutional it is surprising that they didn't foreclose after three months. This implies that they just MIGHT accept 80% of the amount due now, and add the remaining 20% to your balance, if only you can present the offer effectively to the right people at your lender.

It would probably be worth your asking a local attorney to make that presentation for you. In today's environment, it is far better for the lender to get that 80% than to incur the costs of fighting a bankruptcy filing and incurring foreclosure costs, only to eventually acquire what must almost certainly be yet another house in a rough real estate market.

Good luck with your situation.
The Land Advisor and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Finance Questions