Dave Z
Dave Z, Mortgage Co. Operations Manager
Experience:  Operations manager for a mortgage company, Member of OAMB & NAMB, 10+ yrs experience in mtg industry
3456305

1. What are two principal reasons for holding cash Can a ...

1. What are two principal reasons for holding cash? Can a firm estimate its target cash balance by summing the cash held to satisfy each of the two reasons?

2. From the standpoint of the borrower, is long-term or short-term credit riskier? Explain. Would it ever make sense to borrow on a short-term basis if short-term rates were above long-term rates?

3. Give two reasons stockholders might be indifferent between owning the stock of a firm with volatile cash flows and that of a firm with stable cash flows.

4. List six reasons risk management might increase the value of a firm.

5. Discuss some of the techniques available to reduce risk exposures.

6.Why do creditors usually accept a plan for financial rehabilitation rather than demand liquidation of the business?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Dave Z replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoonCustomerand welcome to Just Answer!

I see that your question has been posted here for about a day now. I apologize that no one has been able to provide you with the information that you need yet. If you still have time, I should be able to answer all of these questions a little later this evening. I have to step out for a couple of hours but I should be able to provide you the answers to the above questions within an hour or so of my return. Therefore, if you can wait, give me about 3-4 hours or so to get back with you. If not, maybe someone else will be able to help out in the meantime. Thanks for using Just Answer and I look forward to working with you soon. Have a great evening and let me know if that time frame is acceptable to you, or if you need the answers sooner than that.

Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes go ahead I can wait a couple more hours.

Thanks
Expert:  Dave Z replied 6 years ago.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. The two principal reasons for holding cash are for "transac­tions" and for "compensating balances". No, the target cash balance is not equal to the sum of the holdings for each reason because the same money can often partially satisfy both motives.

2. From the standpoint of the borrower, short-term credit is riskier because short-term interest rates fluctuate more than long-term rates, and the company may be unable to repay the debt. If the lender will not extend the loan, the company could possibly be forced into bankruptcy.

A company might borrow on a short-term basis if the company thought that interest rates would fall, and thus, the long-term rate would go even lower. A company might also want to borrow on a short-term basis if the company was only going to need the money for a short while and the higher interest would be offset by lower administration costs and no prepayment penalty. Therefore, companies do consider factors other than interest rates when deciding on the maturity/terms of their debt.

3. Stockholders can eliminate the risk of volatile cash flows by diversifying their portfolios. However, if a company decided to hedge away the risks associated with the volatility of its cash flows, the company would have to pass on the costs of hedging to the investors. More educated investors can hedge risks themselves and thus they are indifferent as to who actually does the hedging. More volatile cash flows will generally be able to produce more growth options due to the greater liquid asset requirements and higher liquidity needed by a company with more volatile cash flows. However, a more stable cash flow may not have the same growth options or have the opportunity to grow as quickly due to the lower liquidity level of a company with a stable cash flow. Firms with high cash flow volatility maintain higher levels of financial slack than those firms with more stable cash flow volatility. Companies with more stable cash flows however, are generally safer to by stock in overall. Thus, these are a few reasons why stockholders might be indifferent between owning the stock of a firm with volatile cash flows and that of a firm with stable cash flows.

4. While there are not any studies that prove that risk management either adds or does not add value, there are 6 reasons why risk management may increase the value of a firm. Risk management allows corporations to:

1) Increase their use of debt

2) Maintain their capital budget over time.

3) Avoid costs associated with financial distress

4) Utilize their comparative advantages in hedging relative to the hedging ability of individual investors

5) Reduce both the risks and costs of borrowing by using swaps

6) Reduce the higher taxes that result from fluctuating earnings.

5. There are a few ways to reduce a company's risk exposure and here they are below:

1) A company can transfer its risk to an insurance company that requires periodic premium payments that are established by the insurance company based on its notion of the company's risk exposure.

2) A company can transfer risk-producing functions to a third party.

3) A company can purchase derivatives contracts to reduce input and financial risks.

4) A company can take specific actions to reduce the probability of occurrence of adverse events. This would include things such as the replacing of old electrical wiring or using fire resistant materials in areas with the greatest fire potential.

5) A company can take actions to reduce the magnitude of the loss associated with adverse events, such as installing an automatic sprinkler system to hinder potential fires.

6) Finally, a company can totally avoid the activity that gives rise to the risk.

6. Creditors usually accept a plan for financial rehabilitation rather than demand liquidation of the business because a financial rehabilitation is a voluntary settlement that is simply a contract between the debtor and the creditors that settles their claims to maximize the return for the creditors while minimizing the financial distress of the debtor. A financial rehabilitation keeps the customer in business and avoids the unnecessary court costs. While the creditors could end up taking a temporary loss, the creditors will expect the debtor to emerge stable and solvent again.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance and don't forget to leave feedback after you have clicked the Green Accept button. Have a great evening and a wonderful holiday season.

Dave Z, Mortgage Co. Operations Manager
Experience: Operations manager for a mortgage company, Member of OAMB & NAMB, 10+ yrs experience in mtg industry