Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Personal Investment, Tax Preparation
870116

Handicap Van deduction

In 2006 I financed a handicap van. 20K was the cost of the conversion. I know that I am able to write off some of that cost. What amount exactly can I deduct? Or, what is the formula so I an file properly?

IRS publication 502 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf page 6 Capital Expenses

Please find there the worksheet for calculating deductible medical expenses. let me know if any clarification needed.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Lev's Post: This calculation seems applicable for home modifications, would this cover a van conversion as well?

Yes, you may use the same technique to calculate deductible medical expenses for any capital expenses.

Pleas see also on the page 7 - Car:

You can include in medical expenses the cost of special hand controls and other special equipment installed in a car for the use of a person with a disability.

Special design. You can include in medical expenses the difference between the cost of a regular car and a car specially designed to hold a wheelchair.

Cost of operation. You cannot deduct the cost of operating a specially equipped car, except as discussed under Transportation.