R. Greg Paszkiewicz
R. Greg Paszkiewicz, Advisor
Experience:  Finance degree, worked 5 years for investment advisory firm
100961

How healthcare is paid for in Canada

Customer Question

How are healthcare, hospitalization and visits to the doctor paid for in Canada?
Category: Finance
Expert:  R. Greg Paszkiewicz replied 11 years ago.
Generally healthcare is delivered by the provincial health plan, OHIP in your case. Can you give some further detail about exactly what you need to know? Are you new to Canada?, a part-time resident? a citizen not a citizen? One of my clients recently moved back from CN after 3 years and he was in OHIP so I should be able to get you answers to specific questions. I know the health system is largely financed thru the income tax and most services, drugs, etc are free or heavily discounted.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to R. Greg Paszkiewicz's Post: I am a citizen of Canada (new) and I would like to "follow the money". In other words, I pay my taxes to the federal and provincial governments, but how do the hospitals pay their bills, how do the doctors get paid? By contrast, how do visitors and non citizens receive and pay for healthcare in Canada?
There are private health plans available for those who aren't eligible for OHIP. Canada is a single payer system so I assume the govt pays the doctors, hospitals, etc.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to R. Greg Paszkiewicz's Post: I was told I would not be charged for the non-answer that I received. My experience here tells me you badly need people with knowledge of Canada because the answer I was given was completely inadequate. I do not wish to pay for what I received.
I posted the response as a free post which you apparently didn't notice because I could not give you a detailed answer. Based on your verbage you seem to be searching for some conspiracy or complex answer to how the health system works which i don't believe exists. If you aren't happy with the answer then don't pay that's how the site works, however i don't understand the need of some questioners to attack the specialist, it is unnecessary. Since you live in Canada, I would think one of your co-workers, friends, etc there could answer your question.