The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Legal Secretary/Paralegal
Experience:  Legal research, document preparation and advice offered to financial institutions (30 yrs.exp.)
6999

getting sued by collections agency

Customer Question

getting sued by collection agency,the $200.00 I’ve paid don’t reflect the bal. owed because
they add interest every day. my bal. is more than i started out with! they want my 2004 tax return
which will not pay it off. my credit reports for this place don't show anything being paid??
missed last court date. what do I do?
judge wants to come tell him why he shouldn't
do anything to me for missing that day.
Category: Finance
Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

What type of matter are you being sued for?

What do you mean about the judge - what does he want?

Has judgment been entered?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: these are old doctor bills. what do you mean by
judgement. this is the second or third time the
same people have issued a summons to me.
and about the judge. I missed the last court
date. so what happens to me??
Please help, I go to court @ 1:00pm tomorrow
the 29 th.
Thanks for all your help! Customer

Greetings:

Thank you for responding and providing additional information.

If you owe the money, you will be forced to pay, including any and all interest which has accrued daily....thus, the court will render judgment against you. If you have documentation that proves that you paid in full, then the case should be dropped...

If judgment is filed against you, this will go against your credit, and the creditor can secure a wage garnishment against you (should you be employed), and/or they can secure a bank levy (should you have a bank account)..and take your monies and/or they can place a lien on your property ...should you own any such assets.

If you are able to make payment arrangements, you should do so to hold them off from securing the wage garnishment, etc..

If you are disabled, and/or if you are receiving any government/county financial assistance, they cannot secure any monies from you at present....however, judgments are good indefinitely, until paid in full - as long as it's renewed within a certain period of time - each state has their own time limit for same - which is in years.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: Hello, After reading your reply I still have
questions. so legally they can add interest
on this? and do whatever with my property &
accounts over a old doctor bill that started
out being $28.00 but is now $128.00 (example)
how do they ever expect anyone to come out alive?
and what will they do about missing the last court date?
Thanks Again Customer

Greetings:

Thank you for responding and requesting more information - I'm sorry I was not fully clear.

Oh yes, legally, they can add interest - and it accrues daily at the rate of 10 to 18 percent. With regards XXXXX XXXXX property, if you own any assets, they can place a lien on same - and with regard to your bank account, they can obtain a bank levy and withdraw funds. As far as missing a last court date, they may overlook it or the court may sanction you (ask you to pay a small fine)...I have not seen this happen in cases such as yours, however, it is possible.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave