Jennifer Hamann
Jennifer Hamann, Student
Experience:  been there myself
121781

College Dream

Customer Question

I want to go to a Environmental & Health College called Maharishi University of Managment but I am in serious need of financial aid. What are the best resources for grants and loans I can use?

Hello, my name isXXXXX 23 years of age. My highest completed education is General Education Development certificate (GED). I do have some college credits I earned in the military about 67 total credits however none of them are related to the field I'm interested in. I am an African American member of United States Navy and a native of Chicago, Il. I've been a member for over four years now. I currently work in the Advanced Computer Electronics Field. However, I realized that this isn't what I really want to do. I realized that health and environmental science is my most important interest. I decided to pursue this want. I researched natural health colleges online and came across one named Maharishi University located in Fairfield, IA. I visited the college and I found a great resource of people and outstanding learning environment. I was very impressed with the ideals, purpose, and goals the school had for its students. However, I don't exactly have the financial resources available. I really truly want to know the resources available to me because I want really want to attend this college and I want to make sure that I'm financially capable of doing so.
Category: Finance
Expert:  brandon replied 11 years ago.
i would definatly try www.fastweb.com you fill out a profile and they give you a list of scholarships your are able to get based on your profile.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to brandon's Post: Thanks Brandon, I'll check out that website and fill out my profile. If things go as expected then I'll grant you two hundred bucks!
Expert:  Jennifer Hamann replied 11 years ago.
Brandon has a good point, www.fastweb.com is a good website. Also you will need to fill out a FAFSA that you can get at your financial aid office.You can also do it online. Also the folks at the financial aid office can do an estimation of what you are likely to get from the federal government. You will need to go down to the schools VA office because they will end up paying for a whole lot of you education. You are very lucky that you are in the military in that regard. They usually give you a set monthly amount that depends on the number of units you are taking, your rank, etc. If those don't prove to be quite enough to cover it you can also take out a student loan. These have set amounts that you can take out depending on your grade level. Another really invaluable resource is the base education office, those people work miracles it seems. If I can be of any more help ...let me know and HAPPY LEARNING TO YOU!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jennifer Hamann's Post: Actually, I just realized that I was looking more for grants instead of scholarships. Most of the scholarships at fastweb require that I be currently enrolled in school. Unfortunately I'm not currently enrolled :(. I need to rephrase my question.
Everything that comes from the government is a grant not a scholarship. The financial aid office and tha VA office should be able to give you at least an estimation of what you'll be recieving. That will at least let you know what you'll be looking at. You can fill out your fafsa and not be currently enrolled as long as you know what schools you're planning to apply to. Let me know if you have any more questions
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you Jennifer, But where on earth do I fill out a FAFSA?
Oh, I am so very sorry! How negligent of me. You can just type in FAFSA in your search engine and it should take you right to the website. Free Application for Federal Student Aid(FAFSA)
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jennifer Hamann's Post: Thank you Jennifer but I'm applying for the Spring 2007 semester. FAFSA is only accepting applications for 2005-2006. I just want to get started early with gathering grants and scholarships.
You can go ahead and fill out your FAFSA and it will give you an EFC(estimated family contribution)SO at least you will know about what the federal government will expect you to pay for yourself.You don't necessarily have to be enrolling for the coming year to find out if you are eligible forthe pell grant and many other programs that are offered through the federal government. The FAFSA just establishes eleigibility and baseline amount. You don't actually get anything until you go through the financial aid office at your school and they have all of your required paperwork and such.They use the FAFSA as their guideline for what gets distributed to whom. You should also look at scholarships and grants that the school offers. You can still talk to the VA office at the school to find out what they will be paying for, they can still give you a ballpark figure. You won't be able to get any money in hand at this point from anywhere but you can at least find out what you will be getting so you'll know what you need to start putting aside yourself.Most schools have a fee waiver program as well. That comes in really handy for those of us who make too much money to get grants but still have "need". Unfortunately, you won't be getting anything until you actually enroll. If all else fails, there are always student loans that aren't based on your credit score and you have until 6 months after you graduate to begin making payments.Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. I've been where you are and I know how intimidating it all can be.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jennifer Hamann's Post: Jennifer, you have been quite an incredible help to me thus far. Please don't go away anytime soon. You are offically my School Enrollment Mentor.
Just glad to help any way I can.I remember it wasn't that very long agq I was having to figure this out for myself. Another thing you might want to consider is setting up a target savings account at local bank or credit union. You commit to saving whatever amount and you can't withdraw the money until the balance reaches that amount. You can even have the bank take it directly from your paycheck that way you never see it and therefore don't miss it. I've found those to be quite helpful for saving for particular things(like the purchase of my new oboe, vacation plans..whatever i need a specific amount for). Another thing you might want to consider is checking out any local community colleges that are in your area. You can often fulfill lower division requirements that apply to your major(English,math social sciences etc) and they will transfer to your new school whenever you are ready for that and it will cost you a lot less than at a university. Not to mention it means you will have to spend less time in school full time. Most of them have evening classes just to cater to working adults like ourselves. Just something to think about. Contact me anytime!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hmm, I don't know if I can do the community college thing. I'm too stuck on going to Maharishi University. I don't know if I can hold off much longer. I'm 23 years of age and I'm not getting any younger. Plus my major is going to Holistic Health and Nutrition. I don't think you understand Maharishi. It's not just any college. It's a non-traditional one and the value of being there is just something money nor any other college can replace. I'm sticking to my guns on this one. I can't sacrifice any of my time at another college. Sorry. It's just a personal decision I cannot change.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
What happened to the relist link?