RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

What caused many people to lose their jobs in Flint,

Customer Question

What caused many people to lose their jobs in Flint, Michigan on or around the 1980s and become homeless and/or poor?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 days ago.

There are multiple reasons for the conditions in Flint over the years. My research shows that situations such as the major car companies finding cheaper labor elsewhere as over 30,000 autoworkers in Flint, eventually 80,000 in all, and shut down several factories. . Cheap labor in Mexico helped in the closing of plants and sending those jobs elsewhere. Recession of the 1980s, along with high gas prices also was a reason why plants closed and people lost their jobs. GM's employment began to drop by 1988, with plant closures throughout the 1990s and 2000s including many in Flint.

The water problems recently have not helped at all and lead to further move away and economic downturn and more job losses.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.