Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

If my dad died oweing back child support for his grown

Customer Question

If my dad died oweing back child support for his grown children and leave his bother sole control of his estate can we collect
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: My uncle has given money to my other siblings but nothing to me and my sister in California who only carries his last name
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is it
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 12 days ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank You for posting your question to just answer today. This is attorney Bill offering legal information specific to your concerns.

In North Carolina Child support arrears are payable by the estate so your father's estate is obliged to honor the debt and pay it as a priority debt from estate assets.

" The parent’s estate, however, remains liable for child support arrearages that accrued before the parent’s death. [See Larsen v. Sedberry, 54 N.C.App. 166, 282 S.E.2d 551 (1981), review denied, 304 N.C. 728, 288 S.E.2d 381 (1982) ("

The claim should be filed with the estate and paid from the estate by the executor/ administrator of the estate.

Please be patient for my follow up and answer when you request additional clarification or information and REMEMBER TO RATE POSITIVELY TODAY FOR THE INFORMATION RECEIVED.

Please remember to rate positively my response before exiting.

THIS IS HOW I GET A CREDIT FOR MY TIME AND RESPONSE

SO I HOPE YOU RATE 5 STARS TODAY

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 11 days ago.

Dear Customer,

I would like to follow up with you on your question in which I replied to yesterday and gave an answer. Do you need any more information ?

When Finished PLEASE REMEMBER THAT WE EXPERTS COUNT ON POSITIVE RATINGS

THIS IS HOW I GET A CREDIT FOR MY TIME AND REPONSE PREVIOUSLY

SO I HOPE YOU RATE 5 STARS TODAY

Thanks

Attorney Bill