How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29267
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In indiana, support for college expenses is mandatory and

Customer Question

In indiana, support for college expenses is mandatory and court determined within Guidelines. The age of emancipation is 19 for Child support. What if the child is leaving the custodial home to live at the university he attends 6 months before emancipation? The college support amount for me is less than the child support so will I be required to pay both simultaneously? If I pay both concurrently can I get a reimbursement on the child support? Can I get the child support to end before emancipation when the child moves to school and my college support, (which includes room and board), takes over?Why should a custodial parent get extra money they no longer need?
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 days ago.
Good afternoon
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Where is the answer to my question? I paid $36. I expect more than a "Good Afternoon."
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 days ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

You have the ability to file a Motion to Modify when the child leaves, explaining that he is no longer living with the custodial parent and is already away at school. The judge will either reduce support or tell you which amount to continue paying. You shouldn't have to pay both. If that happened, none of it would be reimbursed later, but it's unlikely.

If the child moves out to live near the school, gets a job, and is able to support himself, you can ask the judge to terminate support on that basis. It's possible the judge will factor in what the child is making when re-evalauting your support, which could lower the payments. It's not likely that support would be completely terminated unless the child decides not to go to school.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 13 hours ago.

Do you have any questions about this?