Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My divorce was finales in 2013. there is a clause in the

Customer Question

Hi .. my divorce was finales in 2013.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: there is a clause in the agreement that within 7 years of signed agreement, I can go back and claim for spousal support/ alimony. Married since 1990.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: He earned and earns much more than I and I've had constant health issues that set me. Ack financially. I
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think I'll be able to work for many more years.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us about this issue?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'm in California.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Will I be able to go back to court now to ask for support / alimony?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No, not talked to a lawyer yet
If your divorce order stated support was left open for 7 years from the date of the final order, then yes, you can go back and ask for support. You would need to prove a significant change in financial circumstances since the order and prove your health changes and the court can award you spousal support based on your needs and your spouse's ability to pay the support for your needs.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.