LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

As a custodial parent, my non custodial parent has rights to

Customer Question

as a custodial parent, my non custodial parent has rights to have my son, but i have no contact information for him. no phone or residential address.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Mercedes TX
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: non custodial parent states i do not need any of the information and i have no buisness having that information
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 12 days ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 12 days ago.

I am sorry to hear this; does the court order state that the noncustodial parent must provide current contact information?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
When we went to court judge stated contact information was exchanged in documents that we did recieve.. he no longer resides in the address or the number i have no longer works
Expert:  LegalGems replied 12 days ago.

OK, thank you; absent a specific court order requiring the exchange of contact information a party is not obligated to disclose this information.

As such, the party requesting this information would need to file a motion asking the court to order the party to provide this information and to update it within a certain timeframe (often 3 business days) when circumstances change.

This is typically granted because it is reasonable for a parent to want to know where their child is.

Furthermore if the court feels the other parent unreasonably refused to provide this information they can sanction the parent for wasting the court's time,in the form of a fine, or the award of attorney fees. This is done to deter people from acting unreasonably.

It can also affect parenting time as it shows an unwillingness to cooperate in regards ***** ***** custody matters.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 10 days ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html