Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

Can I adopt a child who has already been adopted?

Customer Question

JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, he's been my student for two years and has recently been diagnosed severely emotionally disturbed. He has self harming behaviors and is suicidal.
JA: I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?
Customer: NO, he is suicidal.
JA: Okay. Let's try this again. How can I help you? I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?
Customer: NO, he has adopted parents. No child protective services have been addressed. However, at school he demonstrates self harming behaviors and has been recently diagnosed with emotional disturbance. He tells me many times a day that he wants to die. Much of this comes from a feeling that his parents do not care for him.
JA: Okay. Let's try this again. How can I help you?
Customer: I am wondering if a child who has been adopted can be adopted by a different family?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that the child is severely emotionally disturbed, and does not feel loved or cared for by his current adopted parents.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Hello:

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Yes you can adopt a child who has been previously adopted. You follow the same procedures. You will Petition the Court for Adoption the current parents will have to agree to the adoption. Their rights will be extinguished and the Court will grant the adoption.

It will take several months, but you should be able to accomplish this if everyone is in agreement. You want to contact a local family law attorney who has adoption experience.

See:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/adoption/california

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow up question and I do not respond immediately it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald