Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am an american who got divorced in Haiti. I would like to

Customer Question

hello I am an american who got divorced in Haiti. I would like to register it in florida as I am getting remarried. How can I go about this ?
JA: Are there any minor children from the relationship? What is the custody situation?
Customer: no my children are in college 21 and 19
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There really is no need or simple process to register the divorce in FL. If you are going to get married in another state, you need to present an original copy of the Hatian divorce order (with the original signatures and seals) to the clerk when getting your US marriage license. Otherwise, to simply try to file the divorce in FL, you have to file a Petition to Recognize Foreign Judgment and attach the Hatian judgment and ask the court to issue an order to recognize the judgment, but that means you would have to pay the filing fees for pretty much an unnecessary expense.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.