Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

Can a divorced woman still use her ex-husband's name without

Customer Question

Can a divorced woman still use her ex-husband's name without worrying that her ex-husband will run after any ownership she acquires after the divorce?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: WA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. It for a friend. She fears acquiring property because she still has her married name.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing else.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

A divorces woman has the option of retaining the married name or returnong to her maiden name.

That choice has NO impact on her rights to acquire property after the divorce.

The ex spouse has NO CLAIM AT ALL to after acquired property. That is property you acquire after the divorce is yours and the ex has no claim whatsoever to it.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow up question and I do not respond immediately it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald