Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

In new jersey what is the statute of limitations for

Customer Question

in new jersey what is the statute of limitations for reporting and prosecuting someone for failure to rescue minors and gross child endangerment and neglect. I am 50 now this occurred when i was 8/9/10 and / 11 years old
JA: Were the police contacted? Is there an active case or investigation?
Customer: no to both but i want one against my father
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no i dodnt know if it was too late is it??
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my parents were divorced me and my two brothers lived with our mom. she was unstable took pills hurt us at times at times no dinner. my father was aware of all this he saw us but never called the police or children protective services on her. she was also in and out of a psych hospital, had a few overdoses.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this was my father. he knew my om was using pills, neglectful, we cried to himm on the phone to come get us often he did. he was a good man but he just left us there. my mom hurt us sometimes physically an due knew that. my mom had a live-in boyfriend and my dad was screed of his bc he threatened my dad once. so then my dad stopped comming so much. so a grown man was afraid yet he did zero to get this man put of our home and let us live with him
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I cannot comment on your specific case, but unfortunately, there is no duty for non-custodial parent to report any known child abuse neglect by the custodial parent to the police / child protective services, so, as long as the non-custodial parent did not engage in any criminal behavior toward the minor children, there would not be any basis for legal / criminal action under similar circumstances.

Unfortunately, even if there were any basis for criminal prosecution for child abuse / neglect, the statute of limitations in New Jersey is 5 years from the time such child abuse / neglect took place.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and good luck!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please define non custodial ? ok what about going for a civil case with these crimes. i was sexually molested by my moms live in boyfriends son. my mom sadly passed a year ago. i do recall he x's name and where he lived.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we saw our father every week he knew what was going on except the sexual abuse. he saw my brother with a black eye. i called him almost daily to pick me up from my moms as she was out of control ad physically hurting me and would make dinner. he knew she was strung out on the couch half of our days with her. her knew of her overdoses. and he left us there anyway. he is an extremely wealthy man i dont care about getting a penny from him. i want him in court and to be accountable.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
meant to say she wouldn't make dinner i didnt know how to cook and went to be hungry often

Thank you for your follow up.

The civil statute of limitations is 2 years from the time the injury has occurred.

Unfortunately, generally, it would be way too late and barred by the statute of limitation both civilly and criminally to pursue a claim for any child abuse that took place more than 30 years ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

Thank you.

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you.

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 20 days ago.

Thank you.