How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19019
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a custody issue. How can i receive joint custody of

Customer Question

I have a custody issue. How can i receive joint custody of my son, the mother is uncooperative. I do not know where she's move too. He's been taken out of his school. What can i do?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: It just happened recently. Right now she has full custody. Thats all right now.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know. It's all new to me.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

You would need to go to your local Courthouse where the Custody Order was issued and file Application for Modification of the Custody Order and request for Joint Custody. You have to tell the Court the reason for your request. You can obtain modifications forms in the Clerk's office.

In a custody case, the Court would make a decision based on what is in the best interests of the child by looking at the living arrangement of the parties to the custody dispute, their lifestyles, associations, parenting skills, education opportunity for the child, etc. If the Court finds after reviewing these factors that the child would be better off having both parents with joint custody, the Court would grant your request. Otherwise, the Court would leave things status quo. So, it is very important in any custody proceeding that you tell the Court any and all reasons why you should be given joint custody; any witnesses should be brought to the Court to testify. Remember that the Court can only make decision based on the evidence presented to the Court.

Goodluck with your case,

A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive proper credit for responding to your post. Kindly use the popup screen to give the rating. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.