Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Second opinion] My daughter has Rett Syndrome. She is 8

Second opinion] My daughter has Rett Syndrome. She is 8 years old and up until 1 year ago was never in school; she attended ABA therapy about 35 hours a week. A year ago my ex moved and there was no therapy we were happy with so we enrolled her in public school and she is in a classroom with children with special needs.
What is the law in regards ***** *****? Part of me feels she is suppose to attend school every day like new children but then another part of me knows we only elected to put her in school a year ago and it was oureally choice. I ask because my ex and I are trying to develop a parenting time plan and I want to know own if her missing some time from school is legal.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

In what state is she enrolled in school?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Indiana

Thank you for the information.

Your Question:

What is the law in regards ***** *****?

Response: A student must be in school at all times unless excused by the school. Habitual absenteeism is defined as a student being absent from the school for ten days or more without permission from the school. If this occurs, the complaint is filed with the Juvenile Court regarding the student. For summary of the law, click here. For more detailed information, click here.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The reason that confuses me is bc we never enrolled her in kinder or first bc we chose to put her in ABA therapy. We could easily decide ABA therapy is more beneficial and put her back. Is this only a requirement bc we decided to enroll her in school?

Yes. However, you can contact the school and ask for exemption from the rule.