How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It is about adult adoption, Missouri, Yes, This about

Customer Question

It is about adult adoption
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This about annulling an adoption
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was adopted by my stepfather as a child.I was re adopted by my biological Father as an adult.Is there anyway I can annul the adoption I had done as an adult?And If I can have it annulled will my name and legal father be returned to my first adoption by my Stepfather?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 months ago.

Good evening. It's actually not possible to annul an adoption. Annulment describes the situation where the court determines that the original action was never valid in the first place. You can be adopted to someone else, including back to your step-father, but your biological father is your legal father until someone else assumes that relationship.

​But I do have some good news. (1) you can have your name legally changed to pretty much whatever you want, regardless of who is your legal father on paper, and (2) as an adult, the father-child relationship essentially doesn't have any legal meaning whatsoever except in matters of inheritance, and even then the person can be written out of their inheritance through a will. So although the legal relationship may continue to have symbolic significance, it doesn't have to have any actual significance in your life or rights whatsoever. Believe me, there are plenty of people who "disown" various family members, including parents, but ending the legal designation can't change without a new adoption, nor does it need to change to cut them out of every aspect of your life.

Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please feel free to leave a rating once you are finished (it does not cost anything extra to do so and it is the only way I may be credited for my answers.) Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well the issue is my Stepfather has passed away.I just found out that a life insurance policy was left to his legal children.So I am guessing since I was re adopted I have no legal claims to any of the life insurance money.But it is not even really about the money.My step father went through years without speaking even though I was legally adopted by him when i was 5 years old.Well about 17 years ago my biological Father came back into my life and agreed to re adopt me.Well that was a mistake as to not long after that he just kind of walked out of my life again.Well my stepfather really changed the last years of his life and told me he was sorry for the way he had treated me.My real father told me he he really never wanted me so I kind of just left things stay where they where.No I find myself tangled up in this insurance thing.Im guessing i just could not claim it correct?Because if I did I have still have my old birth certificate but that would be insurance fraud correct?Its not a lot of money 20,000.I should have never agreed to be re adopted it just made things worse and now that he is dead I am guessing nothing can be done.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again. I have to be straightforward. The life insurance policy beneficiaries would depend on the language in the policy, but if it's left to his legal children and you're not a legal child, that would ordinarily be prohibitive since you're not a legal child. I can't tell you to not have an attorney look it over, but based on how you describe it, I'll be surprised if anyone reviewing the language finds a way for you to be included.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe they send you a form to claim benefits so I guess I will just not claim it.I must have gotten bad info online because certain legal sites said you could undo an adoption.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 months ago.

Yes, I'm not sure what you had read online... people sometimes say things that aren't precise... an adoption can't be undone on the basis of no longer wanted to be an adopted child, but I suppose it could be said that it can be "undone" through other means, e.g. a new adoption. Someone can leave a life insurance policy to anyone they please, but if you're certain that your step-father's policy only names his legal children as beneficiaries, then that would be an issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you for your time.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 months ago.

Certainly. Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please feel free to leave a rating once you are finished (it does not cost anything extra to do so and it is the only way I may be credited for my answers.) Thank you!

Related Family Law Questions