Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

I have a baby boy that was given to our family to adopt but

Customer Question

I have a baby boy that was given to our family to adopt but because of the state that we live in he had to be here 6mons before we can adopt...The lawyer that was going to do for us for free left town and I didn't know about it...so now I don't know what to do...
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: alaska
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not yet just the paperwork from the hospital
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That we were adopting him
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 13 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

Are you asking where to find a pro bono (free) family lawyer in Alaska?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you..
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Only the biological mom is around and she doesn't know who the father is...
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for the reply, but I am not sure what your question is.

Are you asking where to find a pro bono (free) family lawyer in Alaska to assist with this adoption?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm asking on what would be my best option? Do I need to go through a lawyer or can I just file it myself? Since the birth mom is consenting... and yes where do I find a free family lawyer in Alaska to help me...
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 13 days ago.

Every state has agencies that offer pro bono assistance to civil litigants. Your state has a volunteer agency in Anchorage that handles adoption issues for free. Even if you could not get a lawyer to handle the matter directly, you would want hands on advice before filing anything yourself with the courts. Here's the information that I have for your state.

Also you can check out area law schools if there’s one near you.. They typically would have a family law clinic which would take on cases for people in the community and which are either free or have a sliding fee scale. Law students handle actual cases for course credit under the supervision of a professor/lawyer.

Many of these have fine reputations and if a lawyer is needed to go to court on the matter, the professor handles the case before the judge.

Again, you may have to make a lot of phone calls, but in the end you should be able to get some hands-on assistance.

Good luck!

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 12 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.