Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My wife and I have decided to get a divorce. Im 74 she is 55

Customer Question

Im retired and get social security $1800 and a small pension $600 a month. My wife and I put a lot of our saving and started a Spa business in Souther California 5 years ago. We worked very hard together to build the business.Now annually gross revenues are around $150,000 Her income from the business is $20,000 a year with net profit around $65,000. My value was to he4lp get the business started by building the spa website and to do internet search engine optimization. Now my value to the business is limited. I some internet work for the spa and some other minor things. So the point is now my wife IS THE BUSINESS she does all the work on the clients, such as eyelash extensions, waxing, facials etc. So she generates all the income from the services she preforms. which services are the only source of income.She told me that if we do get a divorce she will destroy the business. The reason: she told me she would rather destroy the business than have to pay me anything for any reason. She would just walk away and go to work for her mothers spa in another State. In other words She would destroy the business we and I would get nothing from the business we built.So my question is if we get a divorce I she does destroy the business (which she is completely capable of doing) is it true that I get nothing from the business we both built?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that the main thing the question I the about what happen to the businees we built
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades and I handle family law issues.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge of just $9 more I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. How would she destroy the business?

2. Is she the only employee?

3. Why is there 65K profit but she is only taking 20K from the business? Where is the other profit going?

4. Are you willing to take the business and hire someone to manage it for you?

5. Who really wants the divorce? You or her?

Thanks in advance,

Doug