Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

We have listed out all our assets and liabilities and have

Customer Question

We have listed out all our assets and liabilities and have to an equitable split resulting in a one time pay out plus spousal support giving each us an equal share of income. We do not want a third party trying to make this decision for us. I have the numbers printed in a word document and can provide copy if necessary but do not wish to do so. We simply want a divorce as quickly as possible. We can hand the division of property ourselves. This is a joint effort no hostilities. In fact we are still living together waiting for divorce and subsequent move for spouse to Maine.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If you and your spouse agree on everything and do not have any minor children, you can file a joint petition for simplified dissolution. In a simplified dissolution, there is no trial. You are not required to file a copy of your agreement. The only wrinkle is, there is no alimony allowed with a simplified dissolution. This procedure could work if you were doing a lump sum payout to your spouse in lieu of alimony.

Otherwise, the option is to seek a regular, non-simplified dissolution. You'll both be required to file financial disclosures with the court. One of you will file the Petition, and the other will file the Answer. The procedure can still be done fairly quickly if you do the Complaint and Answer together so there is no disagreement. All forms are available here:

http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/family-law-forms.stml#901

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 days ago.

In either case, there will be a hearing. For a simplified dissolution, you both have to attend. For a regular dissolution, only one spouse needs to appear. There's no need for a long, drawn-out trial if you have a settlement agreement.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 days ago.

Do you have any other questions?