Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Can a parent stop involuntary termination of parental rights

Customer Question

Can a parent stop involuntary termination of parental rights if the grounds are abandonment for a year and half. Children now age 6 and 4
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes but I live in a small town and this doesn't happen often here. She put grounds for termination is abandonment for 1 and half years. Zero contact with the children ages 6 and 4
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The children birthdays are November 11 2010 and June 30 2012. They also do not remember their birth mother.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A parent can try to stop a termination of parental rights, but in order to overcome abandonment, there has to be proof that the parent was somehow prevented from seeing the children through no fault of their own. If they cannot prove they were prevented through no fault of their own, then if they left for more than a year and has not paid any support and has not had contact with the children in that long or made any efforts to make contact, then chances of stopping the termination would be slim.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.