How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1877
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our child has autism. We are in the process of divorce and

Customer Question

Our child has autism. We are in the process of divorce and we were assigned temporary shared custody with alternative weeks on 12/22/16. Our son was spending 70% of his time with me since the diagnosis. The judge requested custody evaluation by the end of January.
Since that new arrangement our son"s behaviour has changed negatively.
He was crying every time his dad was picking him up from me. Before he would just get sad and cry quietly and lately it turned into severe outbursts where he screams that he doesnt want to go with daddy and tries to escape his car.
He refuses to talk to his dad on FaceTime- he screams and runs away but he does FaceTime with all other people- friends and family.
He also recently start having more intense tantrums where he tries to run away, screams in a high pitch voice and hits me.
Can I bring it up to the judge and request changes to the custody order? Such as more time with mom, arranging child pick up from daycare instead of transfer from mom to dad which can be traumatising to our son. Or switching to 2-2-3 schedule instead of alternate weeks?
Is this behaviour normal for kids with parents who are going thru divorce? Should I bring it up with the Child Protective Services?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 13 days ago.

I am very sorry to hear that. Yes, you absolutely can bring this up to the judge and let him evaluate what changes, if any, need to be made to the temporary orders and custody arrangements.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 12 days ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you Asad. What abour involvement of CPS? Is it good idea?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 11 days ago.

If you think there is a real concern for the safety of the child then yes you could involve CPS but I would not if you do not believe there is a legitimite threat to the child's safety.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 days ago.

Let me know if you have any other questions otherwise a positive rating of 5 stars would be greatly appreciated.