NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  LICENSED NY AND NJ LAWYER
11313492

What has to be done to qualify someone as an expert to

What has to be done to qualify someone as an expert to testify in NY Family Court? Meaning, does a motion has to be filed to request permission? What does the expert need to submit or testify to to be accepted as an expert? Is there any guidance for how to question an expert? Perhaps what I am looking for are the rules of evidence????Thanks.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Normally an expert report is prepared about the area of testimony which gets circulated in advance of trial. If the other side objects would file a motion to bar the expert from testimony. The expert normally testifies based on the report and not on factual issues.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you elaborate as to what process someone pro se would follow to have an expert testify for their case....or reference to where the information could be found. Thanks.

Disclose name of expert. Work with expert on a report, which the expert will normally be familiar in prepating in such cases and takes the lead on. exchange reports. when case is heard, expert testifies about report process and findings.

You can also review this article on the subject:

http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/publications/litigation_committees/trialevidence/newyork2014.authcheckdam.pdf

I wish you the best. Please let me know that the answer is acceptable. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for the help.

Very welcome. Kindly rate me positively.