Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

The car is even registered in his name. Does that make a

Customer Question

The car is even registered in his name. Does that make a difference when it comes to being equal?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the car is registered in his name, but both of you are on the lease then you still both have rights to the car and you are going to have to resolve it in court. It sounds like he is just trying to control you and manipulate you more than he really wants the property, so you need to consider taking him to court over this.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well he said he is taking me to court because we broke up and he is mad. We have court on Jan 18 with charges I pressed against him for grabbing my sons neck. And now that he can't come back to my house he is mad and telling me he is taking me to court for everything and taking the car

Thank you for your reply.

He cannot take you to court for "everything" only for things his name is ***** ***** he can prove he bought that were not gifts. He is just mad and if he tries to take you to court over this you can file to get sanctions against him for filing a frivolous lawsuit. He is trying to intimidate you to drop charges is all he is doing because he is an abuser and that is what abusers do.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He was charged with domestic violence and child endangerment. I don't know what's going to happen in court when I go and testify against him. I know he plead not guilty. Even though I have pictures and the police took pictures too. I have a letter from a lawyer saying what I paid for and sent it to his lawyer when we first split up. We do have a bedroom set I told him I wasn't giving back because I paid over 4000 on the account and he paid less then 1000.

Thank you for your reply

The court is going to extend the no contact order and you need to show the judge the email contact and the judge will hold him in contempt and can put him in jail. He has no right to contact you after a DV until the restraining order is lifted by the court, so he could go to jail just for sending the email threats to you and you need to make sure you show them to the prosecutor on Monday or Tuesday.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well there is a no contact order between him and my 11 yr old son. Not me
Thank you for your reply.
Still this is intimidation and retaliation for you pursuing charges against him. Again, he is an abuser which is why he is making these threats.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can call the prosecutor and tell them he is trying to get me to drop the charges and threatening me to take me to court for other stuff and take my vehicle away. I told him he can come here with the police Saturday to get everything in the man cave but that's it.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you need to let the prosecutor know what he is doing trying to intimidate you and harass you over the charges.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm just hoping he doesn't get mad and come to my house and take the car. I have had it for 2 yrs paying for it and driving it

You need to contact the prosecutor and inform him of this harassment to intimidate you to drop charges.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will do that . Thank you so much

Thank you for your reply

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Another question. I'm sorry he wants to take a bedroom set we got together but I paid almost all of it but when I left him the first time I left it because it was to big to move. Now that he doesn't live here anymore he wants to take it. I wouldn't have a bed to sleep in and the baby sleeps with me. When he comes with the police I told him he can take everything from
The man cave but not the bedroom set. Can he still take it
Thank you for your reply.
He is an abuser. He cannot take it unless he has a receipt in his name saying he bought it. If not, he has no right to it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wouldn't I be able to press charges on him for harrassing me saying he is taking me to court and he is going to be a cold hearted mother f. And he keeps saying I am a bad mother and saying he is going to call child services. Even though they were already at my house checking the kids because of what he did to my son and the case worker didn't see a problem with me and the kids and the house.
Thank you for your reply.
You can file for your own restraining order against him for harassment for sure. He is harassing you and you can get a civil restraining order against him for that harassment.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that will stop him from contacting me and just showing up to my house. And he will have to come with a police officer to get his stuff

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, that would stop him from all contact with you and will stop him from coming by your house.