Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

My husband and his x wife are making modifications to their

Customer Question

My husband and his x wife are making modifications to their divorse agreement. A college found has been set up for my step daughter. She is 17. She is requesting that if the minor child does not finish college that she return the remaining funds to her and my husband. She wants the minor child to sign and have it notirized since she is a minor would this be binding with the judge?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

As a minor the child is not legally competent to enter into a finacial contract. Not even with their parents. The notarization does not enter into the equation. Whether the college fund can be disbursed depends on how the fund was establsied. That is how is the fund's ownership set up.

If the account is in the parents' names as owner they may disburse it as they wish/ If they set it up in their childsname then it belongs to her.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.