How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 517
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I applied for modification because i moved and change my

This answer was rated:

Hello, i applied for modification because i moved and change my job. im not making the same amount of money. The judge slightly modified and told me my job income is based on the state jurisdiction. however I'm paying more than the 17 percent of my income
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: I moved from new york to georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. can't afford one
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing i can think of at this moment

Good Afternoon:

I will try to best answer your question.

From your description of events, it sounds like the Judge held you to the same earnings you had from the job in NY. Unless the job in New York laid you off the Judge there would have had little choice. You could file to appeal that order if you are within 30 days of the date of the decission. Otherwise you could file another modification after you have had a change of circumstances. A change of circumstances could be based on many different things, for example another child being born, a move, another job change, a lay off, illness, etc.

I hope that this information is helpful. I wish you the best of luck.

mmdesq and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions