Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My husband owes 35000 in back child support on grown

Customer Question

my husband owes 35000 in back child support on grown children the court judgement was 55000 3 years ago, and he has already paid back 20000 on a court ordered monthly plan; is that considered "entering into an acceptable arrangement" in the eyes of the passport bureau?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: nj; sorry!
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: he has a valid passport that went thru the wash..........how do we find out if it's still ok to use; we are afraid of going to get it replaced because of afore mentioned issue;
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, no. The passport bureau really is not the one involved in reinstating his passport, it is child support enforcement and typically if the judgment is not paid below $10,000 they will not issue the release to the passport agency agreeing to reinstate the passport. They are extremely strict about it too. As long as his personal information and photograph are visible on the passport and his chip is not damaged they will allow him to use the passport. If he has received notice his passport is revoked or suspended due to child support it doesn't really matter because he cannot travel with it anyhow.