Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

The Head Wrestling Coach took my boys out of state and left

Customer Question

The Head Wrestling Coach took my boys out of state and left them in Minnesota. Is that Child Abandonment?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: like?....I contacted the administration...I did an incident report with the police....I called Child Services...
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: He left them in Minnesota but we live in illinois
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Could you explain a little more?

Why did he leave the boys out of State?

What happened after you contacted the Police and "Child Services?"

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The night before some of the boys decided to get something to eat at Wal-Mart while the others were at the Wendy's in the same strip mall. He claim he did not give them permission so he pulled them out of the tournament for the next day. According to my sons he shuffled everyone else in the van and looked at them and walked in the Van. I get a call from my boys to come pick them up because the coach left them.I called child services but they did not act because the children were not in immediate danger.
I made an incident report with the police but because they were not in immediate danger there was nothing they could do. Told me to work with the administration.

Thank you for the information.

This would not meet the definition of child abandonment, which is defined as the father leaving his children without support. However, this would be considered a reckless act by the coach and the only person that can discipline the coach here would be the school's principal/administrator.

Best wishes,