LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

I am looking to adopt my 18 year old step daughter and I am

Customer Question

I am looking to adopt my 18 year old step daughter and I am looking for the forms to do that
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Cleburne Texas and the county is Johnson County
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I was looking in to doing is myself to save on the cost
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

That is good to hear.

There is no standard template for step parent adoption ( or any type of adoption); rather the step parent must draft a petition, in conjunction with their spouse, requesting adoption - it is a "petition to adopt a minor child".

Here is the relevant code:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.162.htm

Templates can be used from other states or one can go to the law library and access the Matthew Bender Civil Procedure, Family Law edition for a template - for example please see:

here

and page 1 here

If the child is over the age of 18 and graduated from high school, then the other parent need not be given notice.

If the child is still receiving child support from the other parent, the parental rights will need to be terminated, by consent or by court order

Sample petition for adult adoption here

Unfortunately TX does not have pro forma documents so they must be custom drafted.

Information on birth certificates here:

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/vs/reqproc/adoption_general.shtm

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 month ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!