Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I need to know what my legal rights are as a great

Customer Question

I need to know what my legal rights are as a great grandpa.My 18 year old grand -daughter and here baby have been living with me for the past fifteen months.this baby has been living with me. Every sense she was born fifteen months ago I have been taking care of her all this time now her mother has met this boy and she is moving in with him.The boy lives in a barn he is bad news he is in trouble with the law.he is a felon and drug user.I don't want my great-grand-daughter around this boy or this kind of life.do I have the legal right to keep this baby here with me or can the law force me to let her go with her mother even though this baby will be in danger.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Waco texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.tried to talk to CPS yesterday got no where
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need help to protect this baby.this boy has a assault charge and a drug charge pending
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. The mother does have a right to leave your home, with the child, if she desires. As a great grandparent, you do not have a legal right, at this time, to prevent her from doing so, since she is an adult and is the mother of the child. If you have concerns about the baby, you would have to proceed through the court and get custody of the child, show it is in the childs best interest to live and stay with you and not be with the mother.