Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I live in California, but my ex-wife filed for termination

Customer Question

I live in California, but my ex-wife filed for termination of my parental rights in Idaho. I didn't contest it but also never received the court documents. Now I need to prove that my rights were terminated to stop child support but the case was sealed. I flew to Idaho but the judge denied my request for a copy of the case.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in California but the case was handled in Idaho
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I know that her new husband has adopted the kids, but Idaho is still wanting current child support and medical benefits.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She no longer lives in Idaho but will not return any calls from the case worker. Idaho also never gave the paperwork to my case worker
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The termination happened in the early summer of 2014.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 20 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If your parental rights have been terminated and the children adopted by the husband, you are no longer legally responsible for child support. Your parental rights cannot be terminated and at the same time you expected to pay for child support. You need to file Motion with the Court of the State that is now requesting for child support from you and ask the Court to terminate your child support obligation (retroactive from the date your parental rights were terminated) because your parental rights have been terminated and the children adopted by your ex's husband. You need to also request that the mother produce the documents in Idaho showing that your parental rights have been terminated and the children adopted by the stepfather because the case is sealed and the Court in Idaho has refused you access to the records.

You should also check the State's department of vital Statistics to see if you can be given copies of the children's Birth Certificates. If the kids were adopted, there should be a record with the Department of Vital Statistics for the change of name. You can check Idaho and California Department of Vital Statistics.

Goodluck with your case,