ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I have been seperated for sometime and the divore just got

Customer Question

I have been seperated for sometime and the divore just got finalized. I have met someone else and want to get remaried. She is from China and wants to get married there with her family. Can I get married in China before the six month waiting period in Wisconsin is over? And, will Wisconsin recognize it as a legal marriage?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

That's problematic to say the least. While if there's a "good faith" intent to do so, if it's to "circumvent the laws" it would be considered void. Here's the law in Wisconsin:

765.04 Marriage abroad to circumvent the laws.

(1) If any person residing and intending to continue to reside in this state who is disabled or prohibited from contracting marriage under the laws of this state goes into another state or country and there contracts a marriage prohibited or declared void under the laws of this state, such marriage shall be void for all purposes in this state with the same effect as though it had been entered into in this state.

(2) Proof that a person contracting a marriage in another jurisdiction was (a) domiciled in this state within 12 months prior to the marriage, and resumed residence in this state within 18 months after the date of departure therefrom, or (b) at all times after departure from this state, and until returning maintained a place of residence within this state, shall be prima facie evidence that at the time such marriage was contracted the person resided and intended to continue to reside in this state.

(3) No marriage shall be contracted in this state by a party residing and intending to continue to reside in another state or jurisdiction, if such marriage would be void if contracted in such other state or jurisdiction and every marriage celebrated in this state in violation of this provision shall be null and void.

So if you reside there currently and will reside there after the marriage, wait 6 months so that it will clearly be valid. Otherwise, the presumption is that it's void, and it would be up to you to prove that it's not void. Now you can certainly have the ceremony, but have the formal signing of a marital license, etc... after 6 months and that will be the effective legal date of your marriage as far as Wisconsin is concerned.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 13 days ago.

Again, I need you to rate the answer on your screen. Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it?

Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 11 days ago.

I see that you still​ have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.