Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Family Law litigator for over 35 years
95544193

How do I locate a unknown father. Mother lived on streets

Customer Question

how do I locate a unknown father. Mother lived on streets hustling a child was conceived
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: at the time of conception in Jamaica NY. Child lives in Dover Del.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Mother has mental issues. Child was placed out side family members. New Guardianship filed but a father has to be listed in NY paper
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Sue replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I am here to help you today. I’d like to review your question for a minute, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

Sue

Expert:  Sue replied 4 months ago.

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

It will help me answer your question if you could let me know when you say "NY paper," do you mean a NY newspaper where you are publishing notice to the unknown natural father?

If so, you would list him as "unknown natural father." If you have a way to contact Mother, you could go through the exercise of asking her for any information she may have about the father. It is unlikely to yield results. If the Child was placed with you by the State or an agency, you can ask the State or agency social worker what efforts s/he made to identify and locate the father.

If that is not what you mean, here are the usual efforts that must be made to seek permission to serve by publication:

-personal or mail service at last known address

-family and friends

-last known address

-last known employer

-searching on-line.

Obviously none of these will work to locate an unknown natural father, so you can point out to the court that such efforts would be fruitless, given the facts you laid out in your question.

If you are filing the guardianship yourself, you could ask at your Dover, Delaware family court for assistance in filling out the forms. Here is a link to Delaware Family Courts: http://courts.delaware.gov/family

At the bottom of the page you'll see "Information and Self-help," and within that section you'll find "Guardianship." You may already have accessed these forms and assistance, but if not, I hope this information is helpful.

Please let me know if I have not answered your question, if you have other questions or if I can be of further assistance. Just reply to continue.

I hope I have given you good service today. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless you leave positive feedback. Thank you and best wishes,

Sue