FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Do I have any rights as a grandparent regarding visitation?

Customer Question

Do I have any rights as a grandparent regarding visitation? I currently see my granddaughter at a supervised visitation agency. However I never receive any feedback about what I can do to improve my interactions with her. She just turned 18 but I have been informed we will still continue with supervised visitations due to something I either said or did. However,when I asked what that was I was told they cannot tell me. How can I improve my relationship with her if I do not know what those might be? Can you direct me to any organizations that help grandparents? Thank you.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I live on SS and have very limited resources.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been visiting my granddaughter at this agency since she was a toddler. It is her mother who prevents me from seeing her anywhere else.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Now that she is 18 and adult, are you sure you still need to see her at the agency?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Seeing her at the agency is the only way I am allowed to see her. On my last visit a week ago, I was greeted by my granddaughter surrounded by staff people from the agency. a staff member told me I could continue to see her at the agency only. I was not allowed to asked why or if I had done something wrong what that was so I could correct it. They told me I could not ask that question. My granddaughter intends to enter college next September but it will be out of state and very difficult for me to travel that far. I had been looking forward to her turning 18 so we could do things together like going to a movie or out to eat. This has been such a disappointment.

Thank you for the reply. If she is now 18 and an adult, she should not be under supervision of the State or required to see you at the agency. While she was a minor, this could have legal effect but as an adult, she should be free to see you when and wherever she wants. The State, absent a court order, can not make an adult have supervised visits with an adult grandchild, unless there is a legal basis for it and it was ordered, so if she is now 18 and unless there is something in writing which still requires this, she could visit you as she pleases.