JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

I'm filing for custody of my granddaughter. filed suit with

Customer Question

I'm filing for custody of my granddaughter. filed suit with supporting affidavits that were true my daughter answered the affidavit even though it wasn't necessary and lied about every single thing on the sworn statement. what are the ramifications of that for her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 months ago.

It could be perjury, but it is extremely rare that a perjury charge is brought on the basis of an affidavit in a case. First off, if there is any question as to whether or not it is subject to another interpretation then it can't be perjury. In addition, if it is an opinion, rather than a"lir" about a fact, then it can't be perjury either.

Usually, the judge just ignores the affidavit and the other person's testimony if they believe they lied or stretched the truth on an affidavit but they could strike the affidavit (unlikely because they can just ignore what's in it and not worry about getting reversed) or they can ask the DA to look into perjury.