Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

This marriage was based on benefits. We were married January

Customer Question

This marriage was based on benefits. We were married January 5 2013. We cared for each other, but still lived separate lives. He has PTSD. 100% disability from Army. Thew all of his difficulties I was helping him cope with his disabilities. I was to receive health benefits and financial support. UNFORTUNATELY NONE OF THIS HAS HAPPENED. We live completely different lives. Basically he has chosen to not have a magnanimous marriage with me. He has a life style i do not approve of.. and I want a divorce with my benefits that were promised to me financially . I was assaulted 2 years ago. I have not worked. I am unemployed and live with family member. I am on Medicaid for insurance. He knowingly knows of my struggles and chooses still not to help me. Basically he has nothing to do with me, so why stay married? I deserve better. Please I need your help! To be clear he did not assault me. Here's my email **************** JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? Customer: Colorado JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this? Customer: No sir i have not. JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: I dont think so. I'm being honest unfortunately i dont have the money to do this independently. Thank you for your time.

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Unfortunately, regardless of what he promised to you, you can only can get benefits that you are entitled to by law. This means that if the Court finds that you are entitled to Alimony, the Court would order him to pay it including garnishing his VA benefits for the payment. You need to start however by filing for Divorce and requesting for spousal support/Alimony. For forms and instructions, click here.

Best wishes,