Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

What's consider a domestic partner, New Jersey, I'm doing a

Customer Question

what's consider a domestic partner
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I'm doing a revocable trust
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you, ***** ***** yet
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the NJ Domestic Partnership Act, Two individuals that meet all of the requirements below may enter a domestic partnership under New Jersey law:
1) Both share a common residence.
2) Both agree to be jointly responsible for each other’s welfare.
3) Both are 62 years of age or older.
4) Neither person is in a marriage, domestic partnership, or civil union recognized by New Jersey law.
5) Neither person has terminated another domestic partnership within the last 180 days prior to filing the current affidavit of domestic partnership. (There is an exception if one partner has died.)
6) The two people are not legally related to each other by blood, adoption, or marriage closer than the fourth degree of sanguinuity. (They cannot be third cousins or closer.)
7) Both agree to be jointly responsible for each other’s basic living expenses during the domestic partnership, and
8) Both choose to share each other’s life in a committed relationship of mutual caring.
Also, anyone who entered into and registered a domestic partnership under the laws of another state or younger couples who registered in NJ before the law changed in February 2007.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.