Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My fiancé of 15 years just got caught cheating on me. What

Customer Question

My fiancé of 15 years just got caught cheating on me. What are my rights since we are not yet married? We have a living trust and many personal assets.what are my rights for compensation?
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Calif
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. You are my first go to
JA: Thank you.
Customer: I just need to know what now?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state because they all stem from the same common law.

In California, there is no cause of action for "catching someone cheating" if you are not married. This is not technically adultery. So I am afraid that you cannot sue for something like this.

The best that someone in your situation can do is request palimony (see HERE) from them, in a lawsuit.

Good luck.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).