Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My husband & I have been married for 31 years. I am of

Customer Question

Hi...My husband & I have been married for 31 years. I am of Mexican decent. My husband is a 2nd generation farmer of caucasian decent. My husband is a 1/3 % interest owner of a corporation with his two older brothers. The entirety of our marriage consists of buying and improving farm ground with all 6 of us (+3=wives+3 brother owners=6) involved in the loan process of borrowing money to buy & improve. My 2 sister in laws are of caucasian decent also. 5 years ago, due to trying to establish a family trust, I find out that I don't own my home of 20 years. The entire time of paying for my home mortgage, it's been under the corporation ownership only, which is my husband & his 2 brothers. They've used my home for collateral these last 20 years that bought & improved EVERYONE'S livelihoods without my knowledge. Everyone knew of this information except for me. My 2 bother in laws have a history of being very prejudice against any sort of Mexican heritage & have a history of saying very judgmental accusations towards "Mexicans". It would only describe why everyone knew of my non ownership of my home (only me) but not the same for my 2 sister in laws. To me, all this discrimination was done intentionally from the very beginning. There are several other situations within the corporation and the 6 people involved that aren't equal, e.g.. property ownership percentages, amongst many other situations that aren't equal. I feel all the business of buying and dividing ownership of everything has not included my best interests, ever. Intentional in every aspect, from day one, I'd say. I'd appreciate your input on this situation, for I am very tired of not being respected, but still, my money is used everyday to improve their lives, but have no say so when I would like to do something different with my money that I've earned, just like they do. Please advise me also if you see discrimination in this situation. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Was the corporation formed before or after your marriage? How are the shares in the corporation titled?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
before we were married, but we've all contributed to all loans obtained by the corporation to buy and improve properties we've purchased together. all properties are now under each couples names as undivided community property, except for my home and my husbands inheritance property which is still under the corporations name. I'm not surer by what you mean as to how the shares in the corporation are titled. explain a little deeper.

Are the shares in your husband's name or both of your names?

Did you ever sign a premarital agreement?

Who paid for your home?