Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If I want to marry a woman from Italy and she is collecting

Customer Question

If I want to marry a woman from Italy and she is collecting her deceased husbands pension can she keep the pension after we marry in the USA
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that I want to marry her but I don't want her to lose her deceased husbands pension
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 16 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 16 days ago.

I can discuss this with you, as can the other experts, but the issue here is going to be determined by the wording of the pension "plan". Is this a pension from Italy or the US? Do you have a copy of the pension plan documents in English? Has anyone from the pension plan or the company told you whether she could or could not keep the pension if she remarries?