RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I have a question in regards to guardianship of an Adult she

Customer Question

I have a question in regards ***** ***** of an Adult she is 20, she is my sister in law and lives with my husband and I. She recently got diagnosed with Cancer and will need to start treatment. However she does not have insurance, I wanted to add her to my insurance since in AZ your dependent can be on your insurance till they turn 26 years old. Since we provide for her financially and now medically as we will be taking care of her though tout her treatment. What would be the process to have her as our legal dependent so she can obtain medical insurance? Is that even possible?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: We have not, she just got the news yesterday and next week she goes in for a biopsy to confirm the stage of her cancer. Which we are currently going to have to pay for those test and her CT scan she just had.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can adopt here here as an adult.It is fairly simple process here are the forms.

https://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/sscDocs/packets/pbaa1z.pdf

She should qualify for medicaid here and adoption would not be necessary.This is better because it covers nursing home and hospice care as well and is immediate.I would have her apply now you can do the adoption if you have too.

I think medicaid is much better because of the services and the fact that you have no liability for her medical bills or co pays.I would sure try this first here.They also cover hospice and a nursing home if that comes to that point.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.