LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

My spouse says he's going to serve me with divorce papers in

Customer Question

My spouse says he's going to serve me with divorce papers in late January and I want to know what could happen if I don't take them or sign for them, how many attempts do they make, and if still ignored will the other spouse have a warrant for his/her arrest?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Service of legal process (a lawsuit for divorce) does not require that the person being served sign for the documents being served. In fact, they can be dropped at your feet and service is still good.

However, no, you cannot be arrested for not accepting (voluntarily taking the papers when they are handed to you) the service of the lawsuit. As a practical matter, it is all but impossible to avoid the service of the divorce suit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the coming New Year,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a reasonable charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug